Everyone Else's Scale is Wrong

I have a brand new Taylor analog with big numbers.  A 15 pound weight (all I was able to easily lug to the bathroom) weighs 15 pounds.  It is nicely centered on zero and accords with my old scale.  I am down a few pounds out of EEEK range and everything would be so encouraging except my GYN's scale weighs 6 pounds higher, and yes, as a weight-sensitive person I weighed just before my appointment at home with my clothes and shoes on.  Ah, me.

Did anybody run across this study, reported in the Journal of Oprah and presumably elsewhere?

"Two groups of overweight and obese people were instructed to consume the same number of calories daily (1,400 for women, 1,600 for men); the difference was that one group ate a modest breakfast each morning, while the other went all out with a high-calorie (600), high-carb (60 grams), high-protein (45 grams) meal that included a sugary treat.


After eight months, the dessert-at-breakfast group had lost an average of 38 more pounds per person than the traditional dieters. An interesting twist occurred halfway through the study: During the first 16 weeks, both groups dropped about the same amount of weight. But over the next 16 weeks, the big-breakfast eaters continued to slim down (losing another 15 pounds) while the small-breakfast eaters gained back more than 75 percent of the weight they'd lost. Why? They'd started to cheat—which makes sense given that they reported feeling hungrier and had higher levels of the appetite hormone ghrelin.

Jakubowicz's golden rule for lasting weight loss? It actually seems quite simple when she boils down her findings. 'If you're hungry before lunch, you didn't eat enough protein in the morning, and if you crave a sweet in the afternoon, you forgot your cookie at breakfast.'"



Who wants to try it?

Comments

  1. I find that I will eat less later if I have a bigger breakfast, and the breakfast has to have enough protein in it. I do eat a bigger breakfast normally because I work out in the mornings. I still have that extra 10 hanging around LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies at breakfast - I could get used to that. I always eat breakfast but it is usually rather bland and not enough to hold me til lunch. Interesting study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts