Try Something New for Thirty Days

I have been in a Personal Development Phase recently, and I need something to amuse me while I'm driving youth around.  I listen to a lot of TED talks.  This is a good one:  Matt Cutts on trying something new for 30 days.  TED talks are like healthy snacks for your brain.  They replace popular mental tapes such as What Could Go Wrong, Should I Have Said That? and My Career Is In the Toilet.  I've found that I can tune to a happier mental state if I use techniques I've derived from my various forays into self-betterment, but the trick is, I have to keep doing them.

Three of us in the family are Trying Something New for 30 Days.  I am cutting out dairy, if you don't count the small amount of butter in my chemical psuedo-butter spread.  DD #1 is going vegan for a month.  She's already 5'9" so maybe I shouldn't worry about its interfering with her growth, though I do worry about protein a bit.  Peanut butter seems to be her main source at the moment.  The Best of Men is doing gluten-free which is ironic since I swore on our recent vacation with our friends that no way, no how was I figuring out gluten-free vegan meals.  The way it works out is that DD eats the vegie and the quinoa or whatever it is.  Attempting pizza will be interesting.

I am still tracking calories on my phone and feeling enthused about it.  It's an inexact science but I seem to be eating in the 1800 range and losing slowly.  Pecking around blogs it looks like my calories are on the high side, but my firm professional opinion is that I don't care.

I can't hang around figuring out a symmetrical way to end this post so I will finish with a knock knock joke:

Knock knock
Who's there?
Control Freak-- okay, now you say "Control freak who?"

Comments

  1. I like this idea and should find me some pod casts. Knock knock jokes are universally accepted everywhere. Good choice with this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts