Vanity

I started this blog last spring (coming up on my blogoversary) because I was skidding down the hill towards diabetes and I wanted to stick my feet out and slow down the bike. That's still my main motivator. That's why I do this. But now that I've started, interest in looking nice has spiked. I spend more time fretting over my hair, fussing with makeup. I like to see my muscles in Zumba and I maneuver to get a place where I can see myself in the mirror. I bought retinol. I haven't been this involved with my appearance since college. I distinctly remember having a meltdown one day where I decided I wasn't going to fool with it anymore, the boys would just have to take me as I came. Probably time for another one of those :)

I checked my blood sugars this morning. I have 2 different monitors my dad left and no way to calibrate either. Anywhere from 109 to 126 fasting-- all high, but enough variation that I'm going to wait for the fasting test and the A1C test (long term blood sugars) at my doctor's next week. I'm going to ask her about going on Metformin which doesn't seem to have too many major side effects, and is used for prediabetes as well as diabetes.

My blog is picture-deficient, so here's a couple over the last two weeks or so. (Not that I'm overly involved with how I look or anything-- it's perfectly normal to take weekly pictures of yourself in the bathroom mirror. If you're a blogger.) I like to imagine I look a little sleeker since I've been more regular with the weights. If you don't see a difference, say something nice about the curtains. Or the beadboard. I'm not picky. (Thank you, Kathy, for the pretty dress! The river of wonderful hand-me-downs, as the size fours pass to the twelves who pass to the 16s, the 24s and all the up. Comforting when you have to give up your favorite things because they don't look right anymore.)

Then:

Now:





Have a great day, everybody! Say it with me: Calories down! Protein up! Lift those weights! Step away from the mirror (unless you're checking form. Do you think that's just a bodybuilder excuse?)

Comments

  1. I have to admit that I will check myself out in the mirror now that I have lost a good amount. it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing wrong with a little vanity. Being happy enough with how one looks to WANT to look in the mirror is a big change for most of us. The danger is in taking it too far and putting all our self worth into how we "look". I think you are doing just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good!!! I like that slinky black dress. I should post some pictures of myself again soon.

    I have to admit to spending more time in front of the mirror since my weight loss as well. I guess it means I like what I see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno, there *might* be a difference. :) That dress definitely shows your curves to their advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Cammy, I had to giggle, it's like one of those impossible "spot the differences" pictures. I do know that dress zipped more easily :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regardless of any change, I think you have a lovely shape! Keep lifting and the changes will come.

    I am getting a little funny about age now that I am in my 40s. I am actually thinking of buying a wrinkle cream for my forehead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's a vanity mirror, isn't it? What else could you do with it but take pictures? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Look at that hour-glass!

    (I finally googled zumba...yeah, I know, I'm probably the last person in blogland to know about Zumba...anyway, that looks like so much fun).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspiration you are!Thankl you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look amazing! I'm so happy for you and all you've accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go head girl! Thanks for your comment on my blog - it allowed me to discover yours!

    You look awesome, and there is nothing wrong with appreciating how you look!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress looks amazing on you! Now, for an occasion on which to wear it - you deserve one.
    Kudos on all the hard work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been hit by the vanity bug myself lately.

    You are beautiful! I can really see how the zumba and other workouts are toning your body! Progress, baby, major progress!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts