Eat Like a Grown Up

That's my secret subtitle for this blog. It's all I want, really. How a grown-up eats is still an evolving idea for me, but there are a few basics.

Grownups eat meals. At the table. With fruits and vegetables.

Grownups drink tea or water, not soda.

Grownups don't need dessert every day. Definitely not twice a day.

Grownups watch the starchy stuff.

Grownups don't snack on junk.

Am I a grownup? Getting there, I guess. I'm poignantly aware of how important it is to provide a healthy food culture to my kids, and how far I have to go. It's hard, with recitals and practices and rehearsals, to get a good dinner on the table every night. It's hard to limit sugar without demonizing it.

I had one hell of a day-- son is stranded at an airport 1,000 miles away, youngest got in hot water for bringing her rubber Prince of Persia dagger to school. I really wanted a diet soda, which is my selected vice. Instead I had a glass of wine. Much more effective :)

What does "grown up" mean to you?

Comments

  1. A little wine, a little whine, and life is better. :)

    I'm not sure I know what being "grown up" is, exactly, or if truly want to be one. Kids can make a turkey sandwich last a half hour. Or drink 2 ounces of juice and be satisfied. They have endless energy and enthusiasm. Plus, their meals are cheaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm. to mean it means sometimes doing what I HAVE TO even though I DONT WANNA (from fitness and beyond) but also the ability to have a boy sleep over every night now :)

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  3. You needed the wine! What is being a grown up to me?
    I love this question, yes! I do think it is just being responsible for what I do to myself. Wow. What eye opening post.Thank you!
    Kriatin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why this popped into my head, but I remember as a kid/teen and thinking, "When you're a grown-up, you get to have cake for breakfast if you wanted to!" And I did.

    Ya think maybe that's my problem? Maybe I just don't want to grow up. It's kinda scary.

    And it sounded like a challenging (and a bit scary) day for you and your kids. I hope you were able to get it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my husband and I married at the young ages of 19 and 20 we ate out a lot, because we could finally afford to do what was a rare treat as children. Being grownups meant we could eat whatever we wanted. For me, for a long time, it has meant eating junk whenever and however much I wanted to, so everything you listed were things I would NOT have thought of as how a grownup eats.

    However....I guess I should ( and do a little) think a little differently now that I'm working on my health. LOL

    OH, just looked up and saw Gina's comment....HA! I'm not the only one who thought that way. more LOL'ing

    ..pause...I am sorry your day was so awful and I hope you don't have any more stressful ones like that anytime soon. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post!

    being a grown-up means that I have the responsibility to do what is right - fitness, weight loss, and life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts