End Run

Sweet cravings have been a problem for me since, oh, forever.  When I first went on old-style Weight Watchers I was all of 13 years old. I was surprised how full I felt and how I was able to resist sweets-- don't forget, that was back in the high-protein days when you were limited to 2 slices of bread a day and there were no sweets allowed at all.  Classmates knew I was good for a cupcake when treats were passed out (rarely back then-- not out of fear of obesity, maybe it just wasn't expected or thought of or would have been considered spoiling).  Come to think of it, I am rather proud of that diligent young person turning down cupcakes.

Which illustrates the difficulty.  One cupcake would not have made me fat.  It was stimulating of the desire for sweets that could (and did) make me fat.  Personally I think my (then) hypoglycemic body was particularly crappy at handling sweets and that is true for many of us.  Which brings me to last night-- I was feeling fine, had a leftover tootsie pop (don't ask), wasn't sure if I needed it, thought why not-- and then spent the evening uncomfortably struggling with the drive to eat sweet things.  (Fell into cereal and raisins-- just as much sugar/calories as cookies.)

Since I firmly feel that the best way to manage bad situations is not to get into them, what prevention efforts work?  Shall we use a bullet list? I love bullet lists.

  • Morning exercise-- according to the Great and Powerful Oz, this helps address problems with glucose tolerance and I have found it experientially to be very helpful.  Especially weight training for some reason.  In my head?  Dunno.
  • Protein, fiber and some fat at every meal.
  • I'll bet drinking water would help.  I resist this.  Ah well, I'll get a glass when I'm done.  Promise.
  • Bag the diet soda.  Sigh.  See above.
  • Don't stock raisins.  
  • Measuring portions and knowing how many calories and carbs I'm eating.
  • And--?
  • And what else?
  • Open to more ideas here.
I am also amassing ideas for good meals, so here's breakfast today:

Chocolate Protein Shake

ice
1/2 c water
1/2 c whole milk
1 T flaxseed
banana
1 t honey
1/2 scoop whey powder
2 T unsweetened cocoa

Also Ezekiel toast and PB.  1 T PB had more calories than the Ezekiel per my phone app.  Eye-opening, isn't it?

Delicious and it stuck with me solidly for four hours.

The neckless guys with big shoulders and tight pants (sweet cravings) are coming at me.  Let's see if I can outwit them before they knock me down and give me a repeat concussion.  Ok, the analogy doesn't hold all the way.  You get the idea.




Comments

Popular Posts