Jingle Bells!

I need bold letters or italics to declare the following:

The family and I (at least the over-7 part of it) completed Our First 5K! Woot!

It was the Jingle Bell Walk/Run for the Juvenile Arthritis Foundation. A friend was the honoree so we suited up this morning. Reading blogs gave me some glimmering of insight into the proceedings, so I knew about numbers and swag bags and the like. There was also some rather grand food-- Bekind bars, lovely fruit, and Starbucks. The winner of our group got to pick our lunch venue. That was 18 year old son-- 37 minutes, even though his sweatpants were falling down-- he changes sizes, depending on what fitness regime he's pursuing at the moment. Number 1 daughter came in at 41 minutes along with our 11 year old friend. DH was 42 minutes, and I was 44, which was actually totally thrilling to me as I naively set my goal at sub-45, not realizing how severely that was going to kick my butt. That means I finished ahead of some but not of all of the babies in strollers :)

It seems to be inevitable that you compare yourself not just to the guy that's lapping you, but the people that are much older or much larger or accompanied by Great Danes or 9 years old on a scooter or pushing twins (ok, I got ahead of her at least). The correct attitude is feeling completely utterly thrilled at undertaking your first 5K in your forties, and jogging some of it, and finishing in the general ballpark of where you were hoping you'd finish. Usually I am very conscious of my feet when jogging-- terrified of an injury, as some of my fellow bloggers have had to fight through. I got so focused on my lungs that I completely forgot about my feet.

So that's my post race report. My other report is that I manage to coaxe off that two-ish pounds, and was 170-ish this morning for a BMI of 25.8, and there I wish to stay, thank you very much. Today is Cheat Day and I have several cookies, a Mexican lunch, and most of a donut under my belt so far-- I am sadly cognizant of how many calories 3 miles burns so the plan is to ease back for the rest of the day. I really really really want to be in the running for that jar of hot peppers.

Also, I would like to report that my thighs/butt are sore from lunges. I have been neglecting my weights which became very obvious when I picked them up again Thursday. Ouch, but in a good way.

Comments

  1. Congrats!!! I love 5Ks and the fact that it was a family thing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! That is SUCH an awesome accomplishment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on completing your first 5K!!! You inspire me - I love that you did this in a "normal" time for a first-timer...what you did seems very real and attainable to me, now. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I have yet to do a 5k, but you inspire me to get one under my belt in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the 5k! I am going to have to do that sometime.

    Regarding the jar of peppers, just give a couple of more updates and you are certainly in the running.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent...what a great way to spend the morning with your family. Well well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I have been finding those 5K races to be very friendly and fun. I love being cheered when I cross the finish line.

    Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing your first 5k. Sounds like you had a good time and being surrounded by family and friends must have made it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fantastic! were you ever a runner/jogger before? I don't enjoy running, but I wonder if the c25K plan would help me learn to like it.

    what's also cool is that you ran for JRA...my mom has had that since she was 2 years old. It's throughout her entire body. Thank your family for me...it's a cause close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts