Self Love

My main posting theme seems to be: Yay, I Did My Workout! I enjoy blathering about fat and fitness, so this constitutes an extra motivator for me-- I don't get to post until after I've exercised. Today's comments--

1. My DH and I are thinking of rearranging cheat day so that it runs 24 hours from Friday evening. I am somewhat suspicious of this idea. Seems like 2 days to run amok, although the thinking is that we would not go so wild if we didn't have to cram it all into one day. What do you think?

2. I heart Appalachian Trail walking, even though I saw a snake yesterday. It is one of the few truly pleasant forms of exercise, along with sightseeing in Italy and That Other Thing which shall remain unnamed in a PG rated blog.

3. I have gotten a little lost in Blogland lately. It's like sightseeing from your armchair, into other people's heads. The scenery is so wildly different. Some are sharp and funny, others sweet and mundane. Some people (based on their blogs anyway) seem to be tied up in knots so tight you just want to hand them a scissors. I read one today with one of those self-deprecating titles (now WHO would put up a title like that, hm?) The pictures showed a very pretty, mildly zaftig woman who seemed utterly obsessed with self-hatred over an extra 20 pounds. She even rejected That Other Thing, deciding it wasn't fun anymore because she was too fat. (I have been a fan of TOT up and down the BMI spectrum, and I have to say I found it just as fun at a BMI of 29 as a BMI of 19, but I'm off topic...) Anyway, it made me sad. It may be that she reserves her frustration for her blog, and in Real Life does fine... but it reminded me of a quote I thought very wise. A young woman was having weight trouble and she realized, I have two problems. One is my weight and the other one is feeling terrible about it. I can cut that problem in half. It was a weight loss book and I think the happy ending was that she ended up slimming down, but even if she hadn't, she would have saved herself a lot of unhappiness. I believe you can be motivated to change without self-hatred driving you.

Then again, maybe I spend too much time ballooning in Optimist Land-- it took a fasting blood test to bring me back down. That's another great thing about blogs. With all those fabulous before- and- after pictures out there, you don't want to let people down. I feel like I should scrounge up a good Before picture, pre-5-Factor. But then hunting out unflattering pictures of my previously much larger can is not really my favorite thing to do. If I get down that next ten pounds (which at my current rate of loss will be... let me get the calculator... ah yes: Never!), I promise I will post pictures of my rear acreage so everyone can be amazed and relieved at the change :)

Comments

  1. I love this post - it is a bit all over the place, but yet flows together pretty amazingly. :-) I think the before pics are pretty important, but I don't know that you have to post them to get the benefit. Nevertheless, I encourage posting them.

    Regarding the cheat day -- the only problem I see with it is that you may have trouble stopping before the end of Saturday evening. Just my 2 cents.

    Speaking of the Appalachian Trail, it has been a long time since I have done any hiking in the Appalachians, but I enjoyed it. I happen to enjoy seeing all the wildlife -- including the snakes. I know, I am a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't end up changing cheat day-- neither one was quite ready to do it. Neither one wants to cave in front of the other one, :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts